Surrendering a Pet
We understand that giving up a pet can be a difficult decision and should be done with much careful thought. If you are considering surrendering your pet, we ask that you please call NCAL first to make an appointment to bring in your dog or cat for an evaluation. North Country Animal League accepts, by appointment, animals brought to us from Lamoille County. If space is available, we will accept animals from other areas, however, Lamoille County animals are given priority. We are a limited-access facility and do not euthanize animals for space, therefore we have to schedule new animals coming into our facility carefully to ensure there is space. We do our best to accommodate emergency situations and we’re happy to offer support and supplies until the next available appointment.
- To schedule an appointment to bring in an animal, please call (802) 888-5065 x 101.
- Please bring your animal’s medical records to your appointment.
- Cats are examined and tested for feline leukemia and FIV before being accepted. Dogs are temperament tested prior to acceptance to the adoption program.
- The person surrendering the animal must be the owner and mustsign a document transferring ownership of the animal to NCAL.
- Because it costs $725 for an average stay of three weeks, and NCAL relies on donations to care for the 600+ animals who come through our doors each year, a donation is requested. No animal is turned away by inability to make a donation.
- If NCAL does not have room to take the dog or cat immediately, the animal will be placed on a waiting list and an appointment will be made in the order in which it came in.
The NCAL HAPPI Program is an alternative option for persons wishing to surrender their dog or cat. The dog or cat is still tested and must meet the requirements for entrance, but the animal is kept at home until an appropriate new home is found. NCAL advertises the dog or cat, and people interested work directly with the owner. For more information about our HAPPI Program, call 802-888-5065 x 101.
Give us a Shout (or a Howl)
Follow NCAL on Facebook for the most recent news! Want to know more? Simply use the form below to send us a quick message!