Surrendering a Pet
We understand that giving up a pet can be a difficult decision and should be done with much careful thought. If you are considering surrendering your pet, we ask that you please submit this form for cats>>> or this form for dogs>>> and wait for a staff member to contact you to make an appointment to bring in your pet for an evaluation. North Country Animal League accepts, by appointment, animals brought to us from Lamoille County. If space is available, we will accept animals from other areas, however, Lamoille County animals are given priority. We are a limited-access facility and do not euthanize animals for space, therefore we have to schedule new animals coming into our facility carefully to ensure there is space. We do our best to accommodate emergency situations and we’re happy to offer support and supplies until the next available appointment.
- If you are looking to surrender your pet, please submit this form for cats>>> or this form for dogs>>> so we can have more information about them.
- If you are unable to submit an online form or have additional questions about surrendering an animal, please call (802) 888-5065 x 101 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Please bring your animal’s medical records to your appointment.
- If your dog has a behavioral issue, please consider looking into training options. GoodPup is a virtual training platform that you can learn more about HERE>>.
- Cats are examined and tested for feline leukemia and FIV before being accepted. Dogs are temperament tested prior to acceptance to the adoption program.
- The person surrendering the animal must be the owner and must sign a document transferring ownership of the animal to NCAL.
- A surrender fee of $60 for dogs and $30 for cats is appreciated – it costs NCAL $725 to care for an animal for an average stay of three weeks. No animal is turned away by inability to pay a surrender fee.
- If NCAL does not have room to take the dog or cat immediately, the animal will be placed on a waiting list and an appointment will be made in the order in which it came in.
The NCAL HAPPI Program is an alternative option for persons wishing to surrender their dog or cat. The dog or cat is still tested and must meet the requirements for entrance, but the animal is kept at home until an appropriate new home is found. NCAL advertises the dog or cat, and people interested work directly with the owner. Submit your pet’s information to be listed on our website through the HAPPI Program HERE>>. Please note that the form will need a copy of your pet’s rabies certificate; proof of spay/neuter; and photos of your pet’s (send high quality photos of them in landscape format, including a close-up face shot as that increases their chances of being adopted). If you have additional questions, please email email@example.com, or call 802-888-5065 x 101.