North Country Animal League is looking for extraordinary individuals who have the compassion, empathy, and are willing to work hard to make animal’s lives better. Our staff works as a team to provide the best possible care while our animals are awaiting their forever homes. The work can be challenging at times but it is so rewarding! Interested in changing the lives of animals? Please see below for our current job openings:
We are currently looking for enthusiastic Part-Time Shelter Associate to join our team. As a Shelter Associate you will ensure the general health and wellness of the animals as you assist them in finding quality homes. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, assisting the public during the adoption process, feeding the animals, cleaning and disinfecting animal cages.
General Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Daily cleaning and disinfecting of dog and cat kennels on a rotating basis with other shelter associates.
- Maintaining kennels throughout the day keeping them clean and orderly and making sure animals have clean water at all times.
- Completing all items on the medical log on a daily basis including vaccinating, bathing, routine check-ins, deworming, animal photos, and special care.
- Daily cleaning of all non-kennel areas including sweeping, mopping, bleaching walls, vacuuming, washing dishes, and laundry.
- Ensuring dogs are walked outside a minimum of three times a day and included in playgroups, as well as cycling through indoor areas throughout the day.
- Ensuring cats are cycled through two indoor rooms (& outdoor room if appropriate) throughout the day.
- Assisting Canine Behaviorist or Shelter Manager in evaluation and temperament testing strays and surrendered animals as needed.
- Animal care including socializing, basic obedience, nail trimming, and grooming.
- Greeting customers and assisting in the adoption process including showing animals for adoption, reviewing applications, checking references.
- Counsel clients who are adopting animals by communicating general breed knowledge, specific animal history, and NCAL philosophy.
- Be knowledgeable of animals on the premises and show animals to the public using correct breed characteristics, behaviors, animal files, and NCAL philosophy.
- Ensure kennels are stocked properly and are maintained according to safety standards.
- Direct, assist and work in conjunction with departmental volunteers.
- Participate in offsite and special events.
- Positive and friendly attitude. Good communication and listening skills.
- Previous experience working hands-on with animals a plus.
- Able to work a combination of days, evenings, and weekend shifts.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Must possess professionalism, courtesy, tact and sound judgement.
- Ability to safely lift 50 lbs and be capable of bending over and cleaning for extended periods of time.
- Willingness to maintain sanitation of animal areas.
- A valid driver’s license as well as good driving record are required.
- Desire to make a positive difference in the lives of animals.
To apply, please send resume with a cover letter by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Give us a Shout (or a Howl)
Follow NCAL on Facebook for the most recent news! Want to know more? Simply use the form below to send us a quick message!